Well hi.

For whatever reason, I've recently decided to upload scans of band gig posters from my early days in Sydney, when I used to regularly go out and see at least two or three bands a week. I'm talking 1979 - 1990 ish here. At that time, Sydney had a healthy, thriving pub band culture which f
ostered the careers of many of the top Aussie export bands of the last couple of decades. The Angels, The Radiators, Midnight Oil, INXS, (Le) Hoodoo Gurus, The Church, etc etc etc. Anyway, being a lifelong collector of strange and irrelevant things, I find myself with scraps of paper, flyers, set lists, coasters and more from many of the gigs I attended, so at least I have something to remember them by. Most of that era is a total blur in my memory, but I just know that I had a really good time, and my tinnitus and foggy brain was worth it all.

Now, I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert or authority on any of these bands, or the era in general, I'm just sharing what I remember, and a few bits and pieces that may bring back memories for some. Feel free to add your own recollections, tell me if I'm wrong, share stories of gigs you went to.

You can click on them and they get bigger.

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Thieves!


A benefit concert for gear stolen from the Introverts. Maybe I was there, maybe not. Pretty cool lineup though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was also a band called The Pits who played that night which was Greg from Introverts on vocals, all 3 Spy vs Spy members, Michael Hiron from The Riptides on guitar, Martin Fabok from The Allniters on guitar.

Amelia said...

Dear Mark,

I am contacting you on behalf of Rebecca Bower, assistant curator at the Powerhouse Museum. She is working on an upcoming exhibition about the 1980s in Australia and I am assisting her with research. The exhibition is about the music, fashions, fads, subcultures and pastimes of people who had their formative years in the 1980s.

Currently we are trying to source content about 1980s nightclubs in Sydney, and in particular Stranded and the clubs along the Oxford Street golden mile, such as Patchs, The Exchange and Cappricios. We are specifically looking for 3D and 2D objects that we might display in a showcase that would help us tell the story of this dynamic part of Sydney’s nightlife in the ‘80s. We are looking for a drag costume, and some posters or flyers from the aforementioned clubs.

Do you have the original posters for these clubs in your possession? Would you be prepared to lend the poster to the museum for the duration of the exhibition? Do you have any other memorabilia, photographs or footage from the clubs that would look good in a display?

Unfortunately we have a very tight deadline to source object content and must finalise by the end of next week. If you do have material that might be relevant to our show and are willing to be involved could you please contact Rebecca at rebecca.bower@phm.gov.au or on 02 9217 0518 at your earliest opportunity?

Many thanks

Amelia