Well hi.

For whatever reason, I've recently decided to upload scans of band gig posters from my early days in Sydney, when I used to regularly go out and see at least two or three bands a week. I'm talking 1979 - 1990 ish here. At that time, Sydney had a healthy, thriving pub band culture which f
ostered the careers of many of the top Aussie export bands of the last couple of decades. The Angels, The Radiators, Midnight Oil, INXS, (Le) Hoodoo Gurus, The Church, etc etc etc. Anyway, being a lifelong collector of strange and irrelevant things, I find myself with scraps of paper, flyers, set lists, coasters and more from many of the gigs I attended, so at least I have something to remember them by. Most of that era is a total blur in my memory, but I just know that I had a really good time, and my tinnitus and foggy brain was worth it all.

Now, I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert or authority on any of these bands, or the era in general, I'm just sharing what I remember, and a few bits and pieces that may bring back memories for some. Feel free to add your own recollections, tell me if I'm wrong, share stories of gigs you went to.

You can click on them and they get bigger.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Manly Vale Hotel

OK. this one's a bit beaten up. It would have come home in my sweaty back pocket from one of these gigs. I know I saw UB40 there, so it could have been that one.

It just shows how many great bands played at that venue, and what a shame it was to lose it, leaving nowhere on the north shore for larger acts to play.

I guess we didn't leave the venue quietly enough...

6 comments:

bazzil said...

Hey great blog, good to see another great blog with some old music memorabilia. I'll be checking back frequently.
Check out my blog at prehistoricsounds.blogspot.com
for more old stuff and prehistoricsounds.com for record covers from the era.

Roger said...

This is brilliant. I've just started collecting scans of posters to preserve this piece of glorious rock history. It's great to see your recollections - no easy thing all these years later. Great stuff!

Anonymous said...

hi grew up in manly vale remember seeing blackfeather george thorogood and the deleware destroyers plus a lot more !

Anonymous said...

Loved, loved, loved the Manly Vale! Underage drinking, bouncers who never asked for ID, crammed venue when it was buzzing! Grew up on the north shore and didn't have to go to the city when this place was rocking! Thanks for the memories

Anonymous said...

Yes, and remember it being smoke filled, loud and shirtless.

Now the location is a bunch of boring flats.

Anonymous said...

..... Oh it's 1983.

I think I saw ub40 there. Great keep !